Metal recycling in Singapore
Metal is one of the most recycled material in the world due to the ease of recycling. It can be recycled indefinitely without losing its properties.
In 2020, out of 934 thousand tonnes of ferrous metal wastes and 75 thousand tonnes of non-ferrous metal wastes generated in Singapore, 99% (930 thousand tonnes) of ferrous metal wastes and 98% (73 thousand tonnes) of non-ferrous metal wastes were recycled.
There are two main categories of metals, ferrous and non-ferrous. Although ferrous metals are recycled in greater volumes, non-ferrous metals are more valuable.
- Common non-ferrous metals (Non-Magnetic) are: Copper, Brass, Aluminium, Stainless Steel (304/316)
- Common ferrous metals (Magnetic, with Iron content) are: Iron, Stainless Steel (201)
Types of metal collected
201 Stainless Steel (China Steel)
• 304/316 Stainless Steel
• Aluminium ET
• Aluminium Others
• Aluminium Beverage Cans
• Copper Wire
• Copper Pipe
• Copper Scrap
Metal recycling process
The process of metal recycling often involves:-
- Collection of metals.
- Sorting the metals into different categories.
- Metals are melted.
- Purification is done to ensure that the metals are free of contaminants.
- Metals are heated at high temperatures, poured and cooled in a cast, and moulded into metal sheets or bars for manufacturing new products.